Ignou MA Sociology Admission 2018 – The Indira Gandhi National Open University School of Social Sciences (SOSS) has developed the master degree programme in the field of Sociology i.e Master of Arts in Sociology(MSO) to serve the academic needs of the students who want to pursue higher education in the field of Sociology.
The University offers admission to MA Sociology discipline to the students from all over the country and abroad. The university has applied the two tier approach to study this discipline. It means the examination for the MA (Sociology) courses will be held only after one year.
Students who takes admission to this programme in January session can appear for the examinations in December month of same year and the students who will take admission in July session can appear for the examinations in the June month of next year.
If the student is unable to complete any course in the any particular Term End Examination then he or she may appear in the examinations which will occur in next six months.
Students need to complete all the required MSO courses within the minimum duration of two years and maximum duration of five years to obtain the master degree in Sociology via IGNOU distance education mode of study.
The main objective of Master Degree in Sociology (MSO) is to provide an opportunity to the learners from all over the country to study and gain the sociological knowledge, perspectives and skills. It also provides the learners with the sound knowledge as well as exposure in the field of Sociology.
After completion of this programme, the learners can further go for higher studies or they can apply for jobs in the related field.We have mentioned below the various details of MA Sociology programme such as eligibility criteria, duration, age limit. These are as follows:
- Medium of Instruction: English & Hindi
- Admission Eligibility : The candidate must be having Bachelor’s degree or higher degree in any discipline or equivalence from any of the recognized university.
- Course Duration: Minimum duration of 2 years and Maximum duration of 5 years.
- Programme Fee: The total fee is Rs.9,000/- which is required to be paid year wise @Rs. 4,500/- per year.
- Age Eligibility : There is no minimum and maximum age bar.
Note : The programme fee may change in future, so please check the latest fee with the IGNOU Regional Centre or see latest prospectus.
In case of any query, you can contact the coordinator of the discipline at below mentioned contact details:
- Name: Prof. Debal K. Singharoy, Tribhuwan Kapur
- Email-Id: [email protected], [email protected]
- Phone No: 011-29572953, 011-29572711
How to Apply for admission to IGNOU MA Sociology?
The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) offers admission to master degree in Sociology programme in both January and July academic cycles along with many other courses. There are large number of learners in India who want to pursue the higher education via distance mode.
So, every year the number of students who apply for admission to master degree in Sociology are also in large numbers. The students can fill up IGNOU MA Sociology Admission Form in both January and July academic cycles.
The university publishes the advertisement or notification related to the admission in the month of May for July session and in month of November for January session.
The students can check the notification for last date of admission.The details about the admission form and prospectus etc. can be checked and download from the university official website at www.ignou.ac.in.
There are two ways in which interested candidates can apply for admission to distance learning MA (Sociology) discipline. These are as follows :
1) Online Admission:
The university has launched its Online Admission portal for the learners from all over the country to fill up MA Sociology Online Admission form. We have mentioned below the step you need to follow while applying for Ignou Online admission.
- Please open the website url : https://onlineadmission.ignou.ac.in/
- Visit the “Apply Online” link at the top menu. Under this link, you will find the link “General Instructions” as sub menu. Just click on it and read out all the instructions carefully before filling up the online admission form for MSO.
- On the General Instructions page, you will find a link to download the latest “Common Prospectus”.It is advised to read out the prospectus carefully so that you will able to understand the complete details about the Ignou MA Sociology programme.
- The applicants need to register themselves on the website to fill up the admission application form.
- The Application fee can be paid via Bank challan, Debit Card, Credit card or Net Banking.
- After submitting up the application form and fees, please take the print out of the acknowledgement page for further reference.
2) Admission by Downloading Application Form (Offline Mode):
In the offline mode, the students need to visit their nearest IGNOU Regional Centre and obtain the prospectus by paying fee of Rs.200/- in cash at the counters.
Students can also obtain the prospectus via post by sending a Demand Draft of Rs.250/- in favour of IGNOU, New Delhi to the following address: “REGISTRAR, Student Registration Division, IGNOU, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi 110068″.
They can also download the prospectus from the university official website.The IGNOU Master of Arts in Sociology admission application form can be cut from the prospectus itself.
The applicant need to submit the filled in application form on a prescribed format, demand draft of required fee and required attested documents in the respected regional centre.
Admission / Registration Status:
The students will be able to check the registration status of the MSO programme on the university official website after the two weeks from the day of submission of admission form. In Case you do not find your admission status, please contact your regional centre by visiting there or by speaking to them on phone.
Other Important Links:
- Ignou Admission Notification
- Ignou Common Prospectus
- Ignou Term End Exam Date Sheet
- Ignou Hall Ticket/ Admit Card
- Ignou Grade Card
- Ignou Result
- Ignou Previous Question Papers
Courses & Syllabus:
The students has to pass out 64 Credits to complete the programme. It includes total of 4 Courses in first yeas and , 6 courses in second year. In Second Year, the students has to choose total of 4 courses out of available 6 courses. All the courses covered in the first year are compulsory.
Ignou MA Sociology First Year Courses
|Course Code||Title of the Course||Credits|
|MSO-001||Sociological Theories and Concepts||8|
|MSO-002||Research Methodologies and Methods||8|
|MSO-003||Sociology of Development||8|
|MSO-004||Sociology in India||8|
Ignou MA Sociology Second Year Courses (Choose 4 Courses only)
|Course Code||Title of Course||Credits|
|MSOE-001||Sociology of Education||8|
|MSOE-002||Diaspora and Transnational Communities||8|
|MSOE-003||Sociology of Religion||8|
|MPS-003||India: Democracy and Development||8|
|MPA-016||Decentralization and Local Governance||8|